Watch out for your mates…. Tales of Meningitis

“I was revising in the library for my last exam, getting excited to go home for the summer when I felt a rush of shiver run through me. I got a headache, felt sick and cold.  My headachegot worse as the day went on and I was so tired.  My friend lent me his jacket and I fell asleep with my head on the desk for a while”

And about another university student-

“The next day she said she still felt under the weather, was going to bed early. We owe her life to her housemate, Andy, who noticed she hadn’t got up the next morning.”

Both of these students had meningitis and survived due to their friends seeking medical help and calling 999 when they were found seriously unwell.

Meningitis is thankfully rare, and rates of one type- Meningitis C – are reducing, due to vaccination with the Meningitis C vaccine. But we cannot vaccinate against all types yet.

Meningitis can affect all age groups, but young adults are at higher risk. This is especially the case for students living in halls and socialising in larger groups.

So what is Meningitis?

It’s inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord- the meninges. Septicaemia is the blood poisoning form of infection.

Viral meningitis is the most common form, and is usually less serious than bacterial meningitis. There are around 2,500 cases of bacterial meningitis yearly in the UK, and double that number of viral cases.

In the UK the most common form of bacterial meningitis is meningococcal and pneumococcal meningitis. Meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia often occur together. 10% of bacterial meningitis cases result in death and 15% will result in long term complications.

So what do you need to watch for?

General symptoms

These symptoms can develop as part of the body’s normal response to an infection.

• Vomiting and/or diarrhoea
  • Severe lethargy (tiredness, exhaustion, fatigue)
  • Irritability/Unsettled behaviour
  • Ill appearance
  • Severe joint/muscle pain
  • Headache
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Fever

Specific symptoms of MENINGITIS

These are more specific to meningitis and are less common in other illnesses.

• Stiff neck 
  • Dislike of bright light 
  • Seizure, stiff/jerky movements
  • Altered mental state/confusion 

Specific symptoms of SEPTICAEMIA

These symptoms are more specific to septicaemia. However, other illnesses may also cause some of these symptoms, such as the non-fading rash.

• Cold hands & feet 
  • Leg pain 
  • Abnormal skin colour 
  • Altered mental state/confusion
  • Non-fading rash 

So what to do?

Make sure you have had your Meningitis C immunisation (and check for 2 MMR injections too whilst you’re at it!)

Be aware of the symptoms and signs of meningitis and septicaemia, and act on any concerns- seek help!….and watch out for your mates!

http://www.meningitisuk.org/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Meningitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Download the free app- Meningitis signs and symptoms by the Meningitis Trust