Are you thinking about sex? Maybe. Studies tell us that on average you will do 19 times a day if you’re a man, and 10 times a day if you’re a woman!
What sort of thoughts? The more graphic thoughts I will leave to your imagination but there are numerous reasons why people will think about sex.
Let’s think of some of the less positive thoughts that may cause distress:-
– Sex is always painful
– I’m not getting enough sex
– I love sex but I’m not sure I’m any good
– Have a caught an STI (sexually transmitted infection)? HIV? Other?
– Sex brings back awful memories for me
– Where shall I get condoms/emergency contraception/sexual health checks from?
– Am I big enough?
– Do my genitals look odd? Am I normal? Is that a wart?
– Fears of pregnancy?
– I’m embarrassed to get help or ask advice
Please don’t sit alone worrying about these things. Often the worry is needless and reassurance is all that is required, but if not, help is out there.
If you’re not sure about what to do about your worry then preferably ask a health professional e.g. GP/practice nurse/local sexual health clinic. Book an appointment with us. Another alternative is to do your own research in books or on the internet but please take care that you use reputable sites.
Sex is normal. Thinking about sex is normal. Do it as often as you like. If you have sex make sure you do it safely.
The most important part is to not be shy or embarrassed but to come and ask. Remember we nearly all do it, think about it and worry about it at some time. If we didn’t then none of us would be here of course!
See below for some great helpful websites and resources
Have a good day!