I prefer to think of it as a unique and special GP Practice; after all I have worked at Students’ Health for 25 years!!
Nursing and GP colleagues in other practices have been heard to say at every possible opportunity……. “That must be a doddle, looking after students. They are all so healthy! Nice little job with long holidays!”
I say “come and work a day with us and you will be amazed at what we do!”
We experience the rich diversity of students and their lives, and love interacting with them.
Our working days are unpredictable; from critical to chronic medical situations, chaotic to highly organised patients, all needing an individual response to meet their needs at that point in their lives!
Young people are the future and deserve the best care that we can offer them.
Health education as in educating how to look after themselves and make good lifestyle choices not just a “sticking plaster service”.
Enabling our patients to be well informed, learn about and find the right contraceptive method.
The University of Bristol Students’ Health Service is a leading edge primary care practice with highly qualified and experienced staff.
The nurses may not deal with many pressure sores or leg ulcers but when it comes to knowing about contraception and sexual health we certainly know our condoms!
Consists of 9 nurses including 2 Healthcare Assistants and all have their specialist areas such as:
Asthma / allergy
Sexual Health and contraception
Deliberate Self Harm
What can we offer you?
Great, modern facilities
Warm and reassuring welcome
A genuinely patient centred approach based on your individual needs
We really listen and won’t judge you, whatever you come with we have probably seen it before!
What can you do to help us help you?
- Register with Students’ Health Service when you arrive in Bristol, don’t leave it until you are feeling ill or in crisis
- Keep your appointments and arrive on time
We have a wide variety of appointment times available – early morning, lunchtime, evening and Saturday morning
- Come and see us before a crisis develops
- Understand that we will always strive for excellent clinical care, even in difficult circumstances
- Be aware of other students’ needs, these may have to take priority if someone is seriously ill
- Look out for each other, especially if your friends are ill
- Our service is confidential so be honest with us
And most importantly of all have a wonderful time at Bristol University, stay safe and healthy
But if you need to……… Come and see us that is what we are here for!